“Until yesterday, we arrested its cadres for their involvement in crimes. Now, they won’t be able to organize any activities. This is what has changed,” SSP and spokesperson of Nepal Police, Uttam Raj Subedi said.
He added, “from now on, under no circumstances can one support or use the party’s name because it is illegal. Neither can they assemble for peaceful demonstrations until they give up arms.”
The police’s spokesperson said that the decision also helped to clarify the grey area where Biplav party functioned – peaceful demonstrations.
Subedi said that after yesterday’s decision, Biplav’s party was now an “organized crime group” and that those involved would be charged under organized crime. The police’s view will be intact until the group forfeits its weapons and ends its terror activities.
In the past year, the party has been involved in 13 cases that have terrorized people – the latest being the blast at Ncell headquarter and its towers on February 22. A person was killed in the blast while two others had sustained injuries. In the current fiscal year, police have arrested around 400 cadres of the party.
On condition of anonymity, a police source said that they had been ordered to arrest Biplav’s party leaders and Chand himself wherever they see.
Nepali Congress condemns government’s decision
Spokesperson of Nepali Congress, Bishwa Prakash Sharma has condemned the government’s decision to restrict Netra Bikram Chand (Biplav) led Nepal Communist Party. He, in turn, said that the government lacked the ability to bring the party onboard for discussions and resolve existing issues through dialogue.
“During the armed conflict, the Nepali Congress took the then insurgents into confidence and concluded the peace process. Biplav’s party is of a smaller stature and yet, the government failed to resolve the problem through dialogue.”