header banner

No plans to disband Gurkha units: British Govt

alt=
By No Author
KATHMANDU, Oct 20: The British Government has officially dismissed reports that it is planning to axe its band of Gurkha soldiers.



“The government has no plans to disband Gurkha units,” said British Embassy in Kathmandu, while making public the new British national security strategy and a strategic defense and security review, on Wednesday.[break]



This dismissal comes amidst speculations since last month that Gurkhas could fall victims as the British Government defence review mulled all options to find savings of up to 20 percent.



Currently, there are 3400-strong Brigade of Gurkhas serving in the British Armed Force. One of the options to meet the fund crunch as suggested in the previous defense review of British Government was to axe the number of Gurkhas to 2,500.



The speculations grew further as Tory MP and ex-Army officer Patrick Mercer publicly said last month that Gurkhas were no longer needed as there was surge in the recruitment in Britain itself. He also reasoned that Gurkhas had been expensive due to equal pay, pensions and rights with regular British soldiers.



In recent years, Gurkhas have won improvements in their pay and other benefits including the rights to settle in the UK following a high-profile campaign spearheaded by actress Joanna Lumley.



Gurkhas, who have been serving Britain for nearly 200 years, have won 13 Victoria Cross during World War I and II.



Related story

One more ex-British Gurkha soldier dies of COVID-19 in Britain

Related Stories
SOCIETY

UK govt has not kept its word: Ex-British Gurkha s...

UK govt has not kept its word: Ex-British Gurkha soldiers
SOCIETY

British Gurkha Army to benefit from new immigratio...

gurkha_army.jpg
SOCIETY

Gurkha pensioners threaten to obstruct British Arm...

Gurkhas--.jpg
SOCIETY

Gurkha pensioners threaten to obstruct British Arm...

Gurkhas--.jpg
SOCIETY

Agitating Gurkhas defer protests after British let...

Gurkhas--.jpg