header banner

Families of shipwreck victims awaiting relief

alt=
By No Author
BAGLUNG, Feb 11: Eight months after a Qatar court ordered a UAE-based company to provide compensation to the families of 11 Nepali workers killed in a shipwreck in Doha, the families of eight are yet to receive compensation.



According to Tirtha Raj Wagle, assistant spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA), only the families of three Nepali workers have received compensation so far. “We will provide the money to the families of the rest workers as soon as we get compensation from the company,” Wagle said.[break]



The families of Jaya Bahadur Pun Magar, of Jaulipokhari-8 in Rolpa, Ghanshyam Sarki, of Hapsekot-8 in Nawalparasi and Shankar Bishta, of Hapure-2 in Dang, have already received compensation, according to MoFA.



However, the families of Lilaraj Paudel, of Chhisti-1 in Baglung, Mehadi Husain Minya, of Pheta-8 in Bara, Abbas Ahmad Sai, of Kathkuja-1 in Banke, Mansingh Khatri, of Dinvarna-3 in Arghakhachi, Ghanshyam Karki, of Hapsekot-8 in Nawalparasi, Sheshnath Yadav, of Bagada-6 in Mahottari, Rishiprasad Paudel, of Kurgha-3 in Parbat, Gangabahadur Gurung, of Gumdi-5 in Dhading and Rajiv Kumar Dutta, of Sugabhawani-5 in Mahottari, are still waiting for compensation.



Those families who have yet not received compensation have accused MoFA of not taking diplomatic initiatives to press the company to provide compensation at the earliest.



“I am desperately waiting for the compensation money so that I will be able to pay off the loan and take care of my children,” said Balika Sharma, wife of Lila Raj, who was among the 12 dead. “However, it has been months since I was told that I would get compensation.”



The case filed for compensation to the family of Tilak Bahadur Khamcha, of Gaidakot-1 in Palpa, is still sub-judice. A total of 12 Nepali workers, including Tilak Bahadur, had lost their lives when a ship capsized in the Persian sea off the coast of Doha, the capital of Qatar, on June 30, 2009.



On January 26 in 2011, an appellate court in Qatar had ordered the UAE-based HBK Power Cleaning Company to provide four million rupees (Qatari riyal 200,000) in compensation to the families of eight Nepali workers each. Earlier, a civil court had delivered its verdict in favor of the Nepali victims.



However, the company moved the appellate court, challenging the verdict of the civil court. But the appellate court took its decision in favor of the Nepali victims.



Mona Abdi Rahim, a Qatar-based advocate, had filed the case claiming compensation on behalf of the families of Nepali victims.



Related story

Rs 100,000 to be given to the families of the deceased

Related Stories
SOCIETY

Non-implementation of Cabinet decision halts distr...

_karnalipic-1200x560_20210603143223.jpeg
WORLD

At least 23 African migrants drown in shipwreck of...

boat.jpg
WORLD

Egypt migrant shipwreck deathtoll rises to 168

Mideast-Egypt-Migrant_nagr.jpg
SOCIETY

Local government provides relief to the families o...

land_20210819095030.jpg
SOCIETY

Victims' families still awaiting relief

Victims' families still awaiting relief