"NSC officials had told us that they would fix a meeting with the NSC chairman and the Youth and Sports Minister for today (Monday) but they didn´t call us for the meeting. However, we´ll meet soon," said NOC General Secretary Jiwan Ram Shrestha. [break]
The two sports bodies have been debating on the issues of their authorities and roles in Nepali sports.
The debate reached its height when NSC issued a notice to all the associations, players, coaches and referees affiliated to the apex sports body not to attend the First Sports Congress and declared Member-secretary Hari Babu Chaudhari as chef-de-mission for the upcoming 16th Asian Games.
However, NSC and NOC reached a gentlemen´s agreement to conduct the Congress and approve Chaudhari as the chef-de-mission during a meeting initiated by NOC on Saturday morning.
NKF fails to conduct rematches
Nepal Karate Federation (NKF) failed to reconduct the controversial matches of the Asian Games final round selection. NKF had earlier scheduled the rematches of women´s 68 kg and men´s 55 kg for last Saturday and postponed them for Monday.
NKF officials avoided Republica´s continuous attempts to get their comments. Meanwhile, referee council coordinator Prakash Dhaubadel said that they were unaware about the schedule of rematches.
Following the selection controversies, National Sports Council (NSC)´s martial arts as well as Asiad Preparation Committee coordinator Min Krishna Maharjan has recently recommended the NSC board to dissolve NKF stating that the decision to conduct rematches is against the rules of the World Karate Federation and the Asian Karate Federation.
NKF has rescheduled the final round match of men´s 55 kg between South Asian Gold medalist Sunil Lama and Rabindra Dahal as well as the women´s 68 kg match between Tara Gurung and Meena Devi Pathak for Saturday.
Dahal and Gurung were declared winners during the final round selection match held last week but their opponents had lodged official protests against the referees´ decisions. After taking in the official protests, NKF decided to conduct the matches again.
NSC to organize national tournament from Nov 1