“Earlier the government had been providing Rs 25,000 only to the kin of those killed in natural disasters but yesterday (Monday) we decided to provide Rs 100,000,” he said at a meeting of the parliament´s State Affairs Committee (SAC).[break]
The DPM´s reply came after many lawmakers at the meeting criticized the government for providing very little money to the victims of such disasters.
Gachchhadar informed that at least six people have lost their lives in the earthquake as of Tuesday and altogether 23 people have been seriously injured.
He said at least 188 buildings collapsed and another 216 houses were partially damaged in the quake.
He said the government will also review its policy on the compensation amount to be provided to victims who lose property in natural disasters.
Following the home minister´s briefing, the SAC has directed the government to make contingency plans to deal with possible consequences of natural disasters and improve emergency services.
Conflict victims complain of injustice in distributing compensa...