header banner

NSC recommends action against NKF

alt=
By No Author
KATHMANDU, Sept 23: Following the controversy over Asian Games (ASIAD) selection, National Sports Council (NSC) has recommended that Nepal Karate Federation (NKF) be dissolved.



NSC´s martial arts as well as Asiad Preparation committee coordinator Min Krishna Maharjan has said the NKF should be dissolved.[break]



NKF has decided to reconduct matches in the two categories of the Asian Games selection. NKF has rescheduled the final-round match of men´s 55 kg between South Asian Gold medalist Sunil Lama and Rabindra Dahal as well as women´s 68 kg match between Tara Gurung and Meena Devi Pathak for Saturday.



Dahal and Gurung were declared winners during the final round selection match last week but their opponent has lodged an official complaint against referees´ decisions.



However, NSC´s martial arts coordinator Maharjan wrote to NSC member-secretary Hari Babu Chaudhari declaring Dahal and Gurung as winners and recommending that the NKF be dissolved. Maharjan accused the NKF officials of not taking the games seriously.



"If referees´ decisions need to be rectified, referee council should see the visual of the match from five angles and take a decision immediately after the match," maintained Maharjan. He also claimed that rescheduling the matches after 10 days is against the rule of World Karate Federation.



Maharjan also recommended suspending referee council coordinator Prakash Mohan Dhaubadel for two years.



NSC member-secretary Hari Babu Chaudhari said that Maharjan´s recommendations would be implemented after completing due process. "These recommendations provide us grounds to take action," said Chaudhari during a press conference organized by NSC.



However, Maharjan said his recommendation would be implemented with immediate effect. Some karatekas, who were present at NSC, also demanded immediate action.



Meanwhile, Maharjan claimed that Assistant Inspector General (AIG) of Nepal Police Kalyan Timalsina has sent a letter to NSC stating athletes from police would boycott Asiad if NKF reconducts matches against the WKF rule.



On the other hand, NKF President Purendra Bikram Lakhe refused to comment stating he had not received any official information. "We have no idea about the recent developments. It will be too hasty to comment," Lake told Republica. "We have decided to reconduct the matches and till now we are committed in our decision," added Lakhe.



Dahal and Gurung have filed a petition at NSC demanding not to reconduct the matches. Three other karatekas selected for Asiad - Binod Maharjan, Kushal Shrestha and Binod Shakya -- have also supported their petition.



Related story

NSC to organize national tournament from Nov 1

Related Stories
SPORTS

Budget for sports without proposal of NSC: NSC Mem...

NationalSportsCouncil_20240403103804.jpeg
SOCIETY

NSC meeting recommends mobilizing army during elec...

NepalArmy.jpg
SPORTS

NSC suspends ANFA for three months

ANFA-1774233790.webp
SOCIETY

Sports minister’s decision to handpick NSC member...

i1UtVNgNFKmWQFRXT0jPkwR6UasAoZkRBCkwY5es.png
ECONOMY

Palesha's coach Lama recommended for NSC Trainer O...

1725586189_PaleshaGobardhan-1200x560-1200x560_20240906114216.jpg