Nepal will be self-sufficient in electricity after two years: Ghising

Published On: September 3, 2022 05:00 PM NPT By: Republica  | @RepublicaNepal

KATHMANDU, Sept 3: Minister of Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation Pampha Bhusal has expressed her commitment to connect electricity to everyone's house within 2 years.

Speaking at a program organized by the Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA) in Kathmandu on Friday, Minister Bhusal mentioned that 95 percent households across the country are currently connected to electricity. She said that the government plans to connect all households within the next two years.

Minister Bhusal also appealed to everyone to increase electricity consumption. She clarified that the government has promoted the policy of increasing the internal consumption of electricity and exporting it to balance the country's trade deficit. She said that the government is running a campaign to increase electricity consumption. 

Minister Bhusal said, “95 percent of households have electricity access and we will provide electricity to the remaining 5 percent of the households within the next two years. Electricity is now a fundamental right of the people. Our mission is to use hydroelectric power in all forms of energy for a bright future.” 

Also addressing the function, NEA Managing Director Kulman Ghising said that the country will become self-sufficient in electricity within 2 years. He also said that the country plans to export 2 trillion rupees worth of electricity annually after five years.

Managing Director Ghising said, "After two years, we will be self-reliant in electricity. I have said that after 5 years we will export electricity worth 2 trillion rupees annually. In order to increase domestic consumption, we have emphasized increasing public awareness and infrastructure development.” 


Leave A Comment