'Nearly 28 percent of Kathmanduites do not wear facemasks'

Published On: August 10, 2020 03:07 PM NPT By: Republica  | @RepublicaNepal

Of the people wearing masks, 27.34 percent don’t know how to wear them properly

KATHMANDU, Aug 10: Although the World Health Organization (WHO) and several researchers have suggested that wearing masks in public helps contain the spread of COVID-19, nearly 28 percent of Kathmanduites do not wear masks in public spaces.

A survey conducted by the Nepal Health Research Council (NHRC) shows that 72.1 percent of Kathmanduites wear masks in public, while the remaining 27.9 percent people violate safety protocol by not wearing facemasks.

The survey was conducted among 4,502 people at public spaces such as vegetable markets, government and private hospitals, banks, restaurants and cafés, among others.

Likewise, of the 2,703 people wearing facemasks in public, only 72.66 percent wore them correctly while the remaining 27.34 percent didn’t wear their masks properly. They covered just their chin, exposing their mouth and nose in public, according to the survey.

The survey also shows that Kathmanduites have been reluctant to follow other safety protocols such as social distancing. Although floors at public spaces were marked for social distancing, people at only 31.25 places followed the social distancing measures.

Likewise, proper hand washing booths and sanitizers were available at only 60 percent places.

Similarly, the survey also found that there were no proper floor markings at private and government hospitals for social distancing. There were no floor markings at pharmacies, ticket counters, canteens, among others spaces in hospitals, revealed the survey.

It has also been found that less than 50 percent public vehicles followed the safety protocols set by the Ministry of Health and Population.  

Leave A Comment