March 15, 2019 05:30 AM NPT
KATHMANDU, March 15: Following intelligence reports about the Netra Bikram Chand-led Communist Party Nepal (CPN) possessing modern arms, the government has called for the submission of all illegal weapons to the authorities within 35 days.
A cabinet decision to this effect was taken with a view to controlling the activities of the Chand-led outfit . Police have seized modern firearms from cadres of the outfit. The arms were reportedly looted from the Nepal Army at different times.
“The administration will not take any action against those voluntarily submitting any arms that they posses to the security agencies within the given time,” said government spokesperson Gokul Baskota while making public the cabinet decision on Thursday.
According to Home Ministry sources, the government has instructed security agencies to open fire on Chand's cadres if they found with any weapons.
Following a bomb explosion at Nakkhu, Lalitpur last month, killing one civilian and injuring two others, the Oli government has intensified its action against the Chand outfit.Restricting the activities of the semi-underground outfit, the government has also declared it a 'criminal and destructive' force . Asked for the reason behind the harsh decision, Baskota said it comes in the wake of the series of incidents involving organized crime perpetrated under the guise of a political force.
“The party is not registered with the Election Commission and it has been carrying out acts of organized crime. The government has decided to invoke criminal law to restrict its activities ,” he said .
Baskota said that the government will, however, welcome the Chand-led outfit if it joins talks for maintaining peace and harmony in the country. “We still want a peaceful settlement . But it is the duty of the government to stamp out any violent activities ,” he said .