“If the checks have indeed been seized, we will return them to the concerned combatants. We will conduct an investigation into the allegations,” said PLA Chief Nanda Kishor Pun after a meeting with Maoist Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal at the latter´s residence on Sunday evening. [break]
Pun made the commitment in light of media reports and the accusation by the opposition that Maoist commanders seized the checks of some combatants. Earlier in the afternoon, Nepali Congress and CPN-UML leaders raised the issue during the three party meeting. Nepali Congress leader Dr Ram Sharan Mahat said they raised the issue with Maoist Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal and Prime Minister Dr Baburam Bhattarai.
“We demanded that the prime minister call a meeting of the Special Committee to discuss the issue,” said Mahat after the meeting.
Dahal, emerging from the meeting, told media persons that the prime minister assured NC and CPN-UML leaders that he would take up the issue.
According to sources at the secretariat, they have received complaints about the seizure of checks. In addition, there are also complaints that commanders did not provide identity cards to the retiring combatants. Combatants are required to produce identity cards to claim voluntary retirement package.
“We have taken the issue of identity cards with the commanders but they have refuted the charges,” said a secretariat member, seeking anonymity.
A secretariat source also told Republica that it has received complaints that commanders in some cantonments have sought forty percent of retirement package from each retiring combatant.
Meanwhile, Finance Minister Barshaman Pun said on Sunday that the government is preparing a separate relief package for the disabled combatants who have demanded future security after retirement. He said that the peace ministry would soon come up with the package.
Government jobs and wanderlust