KATHMANDU, Sept 16: Residents of the Bancharedanda Landfill Site, who had previously announced plans to stop garbage trucks starting from September 18, have decided to postpone the action until October 7.
Shree Ram Dhungana, coordinator of the Bancharedanda Landfill Site Affected Area Concern Committee, stated that the nature of their protest has changed following a government letter expressing seriousness about their demands.
Dhungana explained that receiving a letter from the Office of the Prime Minister with the chief secretary's signature prompted them to become somewhat flexible in their approach.
Earlier, the committee held a press conference and warned that they will engage in protests from September 18 to October 7 if their demands were not met. Dhungana said that their flexibility should not be seen as a sign of weakness, and they are open to further flexibility if the government takes meaningful steps to address the issue.
If their demands are still unmet by October 7, the committee said they will prohibit garbage transport vehicles from entering the landfill site between 6 AM and 11 AM on October 8.
The committee's demands include making the landfill site development area free of human habitation and ensuring pollution-free settlement development in the region. They also called for the affected areas to be designated as special sensitive areas and the establishment of a waste development authority. Furthermore, they demanded the implementation of agreements reached with Kathmandu Metropolitan City within three months. Dhungana stressed that they are now committed to moving forward seriously.