KATHMANDU, Nov 23: Although there are credible reports that a huge number of earthquake victims have either not built their new homes or received the housing grant provided by the government from more than one place, none of these quake victims have refunded the grant, snubbing a public notice by the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) to do so.
The Steering Committee meeting of NRA held on September 6 had set December 30 deadline for the quake victims who had not started building their homes even after receiving the first tranche of the grant to return the grant money. The NRA issued a public notice to this effect amid complaints that several thousands of quake victims had not built their homes even as they took away the housing grant. There are also complaints that some people with political connections have received the grant even though their houses are still in good shape.
According to NRA’s notice, quake victims who had received the first tranche of the housing grant despite having another livable house within the country are required to refund the grant. Similarly, quake victims receiving the grant from two different places are also required to refund the grant amount within the set deadline.
According to Manohar Ghimire, deputy spokesperson for NRA, the notice had been served across the earthquake-affected districts. “We have come to learn that a few people in various districts have refunded the grant. We will take action against those defying the notice once the deadline is over,” he said.
NRA officials said only one such quake victim, a person from Shankarapur of Kathmandu, has refunded the housing grant so far.
As per the notice issued by NRA, those who want to refund the grant amount can contact NRA’s District Project Implementation Unit in their districts.