National Sports Council Member Secretary Ramesh Silwal gestures during an interaction program in Kathmandu on Saturday.
KATHMANDU, July 28: Newly-appointed National Sports Council (NSC) Member Secretary Ramesh Silwal said on Saturday that no obstruction will be created in the preparations for the 13th South Asian Games (SAG) just because of delay in preparing the working procedure.
Responding to the queries about the failure to carry out preparatory works effectively citing lack of working procedures, Member Secretary Silwal said that they are expediting the works in a “fast track modality” giving it a top priority.
Silwal, who was appointed earlier this month as NSC member secretary, said in an interaction that the preparatory works can’t be obstructed under any pretext.
“It might take time to prepare the working procedure of the hosting of the SAG,” Silwal, who succeeded former NSC Member Secretary Keshav Kumar Bista, said, “But, we will not stay idle just waiting the working procedures. We will continue our other works simultaneously.”
Silwal claims that they are expediting the construction of the sports infrastructure in the host cities.
He expressed his confidence that the construction of the stadiums will finish on time as he is well aware about the progress of the under-construction stadiums in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
The SAG, which has been postponed for three times so far, is now slated for December 1 to 10.
But, as the necessary construction works have not been carried forward, the sports authorities and sports fans are doubtful as to whether Nepal will be able to organize the 13th SAG this time in the country.
However, Silwal asked the sports fraternity to rest assure that the event will be organized successfully. “Though there were doubts. Now these suspicions have been cleared,” he said.
The three under-construction structures Dasharath Stadium in Tripureshwar, Swimming Pool in Satdobato and Pokhara Stadium, which are the main venues for the SAG, have so far not been completely constructed.
The Nepali athletes and sports bodies are anxious due to the confusion in the hosting of the event which they see as the result of their years-long hard work done with an objective of playing in a coveted tournament like the SAG.
But, Silwal claimed that a new phenomenon of an excitement among the players has started as the trainings of the games except for wrestling have already started.
“There was some problems in conducting training for shooting. But, that has almost been solved now,’’ Silwal added, “Except wrestling, training on all the others games have now started. It has been declared that the training for wrestling will start in Province 2 in a matter of few days.’’
However, Silwal said that the 2022 AFC World Cup Qualifiers home games will not be possible to organize in Nepal immediately in the present scenario.
“We will be unable to host the first World Cup Qualifier game against Kuwait on September 5 in the home ground,’’ he said. “We are trying to play the away match first and then play at home through the All Nepal Football Association (ANFA).”
He further informed that he along with his team is going to visit the foreign countries to bring some required construction equipment in order to construct the Dasharath Stadium as soon as possible.
“The equipment for the VIP parapet are being made in China and India,’’ he said, “I will go to China and Vice-President (Pitambar Timsina) will travel to India for the purpose. We will push them to build the equipment soon.”
Silwal suggested that they are planning to prepare an alternative stadium as well if the qualifying games are not held at the Dasharath Stadium. “We are preparing to hold the games in every aspect. So, there is no way the games will not be organized,” he added.
He added that there will be no elections of any sports association before organizing the 13th SAG.