KATHMANDU, May 24: The Government of Nepal has expressed deep sorrow over a devastating coal mine explosion in China’s Shanxi province that killed and injured several workers, issuing a condolence message through the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers.
In a message shared via X (formerly Twitter), the Prime Minister’s Office said it was deeply saddened by the tragic mining accident in Shanxi, which resulted in significant loss of life. Nepal extended heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families and wished for the safe rescue of those still missing, expressing solidarity with China during this difficult time.
4 coal mine workers die of suffocation from explosion in Afghan...
The explosion occurred on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in northern China, trapping 247 workers underground. By Saturday night, 82 deaths had been confirmed, while two people remained missing and 128 were injured.
Rescue operations have mobilized 335 professional rescuers, 420 medical personnel, and underground mining inspection robots. The robots equipped with gas sensors and cameras are helping gather data from areas inaccessible to rescue teams.
Investigations revealed that although official records showed only 124 workers entering the mine, 247 were actually underground, indicating that 123 individuals were not properly registered in the system.
Authorities said 124 injured victims are in stable condition, while four are in critical condition and receiving treatment at different hospitals.