Making public the findings after a five-day field visit, the team, however, said no evidence of Maoist party making any institutional decision to kill Karki or their direct involvement in the incident was found.
A two-member team comprising HRJF Coordinator Charan Prasain and Cahurast President Bishnu Pukar Shrestha concluded that the incident was motivated by political rivalry between the UML and the Maoists right since CA election in April 2008.
According to the team, police have kept Bidur Subedi, Area No 2 in-charge of Maoist, and Maoist cadres Nawa Raj Basnet, Tara Sarki and Dipak Katuwal on wanted list in connection of the murder. They are still at large.
Police have so far arrested six persons including the elder step brother of the slain Karki in connection with the murder. The step brother is a Maoist cadre.
The team said the Maoists had made Karki their prime target as he had played a lead role to file cases against 17 Maoist cadres in connection with Maoist attacks and violence during the conflict period and after.
Karki was hacked to death in Nishankhe, Okhaladhunga, on July 8.
Five leaders, cadres of Biplav-led Maoist arrested