Jaishankar Sah's mortal remains left on road for 72 hours

Published On: January 7, 2024 12:15 PM NPT By: Republica  | @RepublicaNepal

SARLAHI, Jan 7: The mortal remains of Jaishankar Sah, who was shot dead by the police in Barahathawa, Sarlahi, has been left on the road for more than 72 hours. Although Sunday marks the third day of the death of Sah in police firing on Friday, his body is still on the road.

As the state failed to address the demands of the protesting parties and the victim's family, Jaishankar's family, mourning the loss, remained at the scene of the incident where he was shot dead by the police.

The tragic death has left Jaishankar's family devastated, losing their sole breadwinner, and unable to retrieve his body.

The clash between the police and protesters erupted after Mayor Kalpana Katuwal, from the five-party coalition along with the Nepali Congress, demanded the upgrade of a primary health center in Barahathawa-6 to be handed over to the provincial government. Jaishankar, an innocent bystander, lost his life during the clash when the police opened fire. He was shot in the head while returning from a chicken farm.

On Saturday, the Ministry of Home Affairs formed a 3-member committee, led by Joint Secretary Thaneshwor Gautam, to investigate the incident and decided to provide Rs 1,000,000 to Jaishankar’s family.

Despite discussions between Sarlahi Chief District Officer Komal Prasad Dhamala, security agency representatives, agitating parties, and the victim's family, a resolution was not reached. The family and the agitating party jointly demanded the naming and upgrading of the provincial hospital after the deceased, the resignation of Barahathwa's mayor, suspension of Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Ganga Bahadur Thapa, and a judicial inquiry into the incident. Further discussions with the administration are planned.

After Jaishankar's death, the curfew imposed by the local administration in the Barahathawa area from Friday evening remained in force until 8AM on Saturday. The curfew was lifted after 8 o'clock in the morning on Saturday, and a prohibition order was issued.

Leave A Comment