Himalaya Airlines starting Colombo flights from Oct 1

Published On: September 20, 2016 07:44 PM NPT By: Republica  | @RepublicaNepal

KATHMANDU, Sept 20: Himalaya Airlines, a Nepal-China joint venture airline, is starting scheduled flight to Colombo from October 1. 

The airline will fly its Airbus A320-214 -- configured with eight Business Class and 150 Economy Class seats -- on the new route, according to Vijay Shrestha, vice president-administration of Himalaya Airlines.

Himalaya Airlines will fly to the Sri Lankan capital city three times a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. It will depart from Tribhuwan International Airport, Kathmandu at 1130 hours and will arrive in Bandaranaike International Airport, Colombo at 1515 hours, according to Shrestha. “The flight leaves Colombo at 1615 hrs and arrives Kathmandu at 2015 hours on the same day,” he added.

“After an overwhelming response received from our two non-scheduled flights to Colombo, we found this route to be very potential," he said, adding: "We have observed passenger traffic data between the two countries over the last several years before arriving at the decision to commence scheduled flights."

The airline also said that it was pleased to be able to resume services to and from Colombo as it is an important market for tourism promotion of both countries. "Flying to this destination will definitely promote tourism between two nations as well as generate new business opportunities," Shrestha added.

The airline has appointed Classic Travel as its General Sales Agents (GSA). The company will be responsible for the airline's sales and marketing, market development, reservations and ticketing services representing, according to the statement.

Himalaya Airlines is offering one-way fare at Rs 29,191 for and roundtrip fare at Rs 50,041.

The fare is inclusive of all government taxes.

The airline started commercial flights on May 31, starting a direct flight to Doha, Qatar. It has plans to connect Kathmandu with New Delhi, Yangon, Dammam, Beijing, Lhasa, Chengdu, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Dubai. 

Tibet Airlines owns 48.99 percent of stakes in the airline, while the remaining 51.01 percent are held by a consortium of Nepali investors.

Leave A Comment