KATHMANDU, Dec 1: The government has estimated a cost Rs 5 billion to build temporary housing for the earthquake victims of Jajarkot and Rukum West districts.
Dinesh Bhattarai, secretary of the Ministry of Home Affairs, presented the government’s estimated cost for temporary housing in the meeting of the National Concern and Coordination Committee of the National Assembly. “We need Rs 5 billion for temporary housing for the quake victims,'' he said in the committee meeting.
The government has decided to give Rs 50,000 each to the families for the construction of temporary housing. According to the Ministry of Home Affairs, 9,794 houses in Jajarkot have been completely damaged and 24,000 houses have been partially damaged.
In Rukum West, 16,570 houses have been partially damaged and 9,961 houses have been completely damaged. In Rukum West, 16 public buildings have been completely damaged and 21 public buildings have been partially damaged.
Apart from this, there was damage in Bajhang and Salyan as well, according to the Ministry of Home Affairs.
According to Home Secretary Bhattarai, Rs 1.51 billion has already been disbursed in the earthquake affected areas. He said that initially Rs 50 million had been sent to both districts. Mentioning that funds have also been sent for Bajhang and Salyan, he stated that Rs 1.51 billion has been disbursed so far.
On November 3, 2023, an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.4 struck Ramidanda in Jajarkot, claiming 101 lives in Jajarkot and 53 lives in Rukum West, while injuring 366 individuals.
The government is ready to start construction of temporary housing. International support will be sought for reconstruction.
Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister Narayankaji Shrestha revealed that the government is in the process of estimating the reconstruction cost and is prepared to seek international aid for the rebuilding process based on the final estimate.
"We have planned to discuss with the donor countries for reconstruction,” Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister Shrestha said at the meeting of the National Concern and Coordination Committee of the National Assembly on Thursday.
According to him, the government is doing the necessary homework for reconstruction. "Now we are focusing on the construction of temporary housing. After this is over, the government, which will start reconstruction, has already moved forward with the homework," said Home Minister Shrestha.
The government has already decided to rebuild within a year. Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister Shrestha said that the government is in the process of gathering international donors' support for that.
A parliamentary delegation led by National Concern and Coordination Committee Chairperson Dilkumari Rawal Thapa visited the earthquake-affected areas for on-site observation. Based on that, the committee invited Home Minister Shrestha to the committee and discussed it.
In addition, it has been emphasized that special care should be taken of the elderly, children, pregnant women and women giving birth. Due to the cold, the people affected by the earthquake started losing their lives. It is also suggested to increase the number of health materials and health workers.
The members of the National Assembly, Anita Devkota, Kumar Dashaudi, Gopi Bahadur Sarki Achami, Rajendra Laxmi Gayre and Shekhar Kumar Singh led by Chairman Thapa conducted an on-site monitoring of Jajarkot and Rukum West districts affected by the earthquake on November 26.
According to Chairman Thapa, the delegation also discussed with the local administration, security agencies, local people's representatives, political party leaders, Red Cross, scouts and other stakeholders involved in the relief and rescue of the earthquake victims of both districts.
Earlier, the State Affairs and Good Governance Committee of the House of Representatives inspected the earthquake affected areas from November 8 to November 10. The committee directed the government to make an integrated plan as soon as possible and get involved in reconstruction.