JANAKPURDHAM, March 15: The death toll from Dhanusha's latest incident of alcohol poisoning following the consumption of toxic homemade liquor has risen to 17, local police said on Sunday.
The victims had consumed the toxic homemade liquor during the Holi celebrations on March 10. Twenty-eight other drinkers have fallen sick. They are currently undergoing treatment in the local hospital.
According to Dhanusha police, 13 people died in ward no. 1 and 2 of Chhireshwornath municipality. Likewise, four persons died in Musahari of Janakpurdham municipality-7.
Earlier yesterday, police said that three died on Friday night, while one drinker died in the course of treatment on Saturday.
The deceased have been identified as Bramha Dev Yadav, Bilas Mandal, Ram Narayan Mahara, Gudari Mahara and Raju Mahara. Likewise, Satrudhan Mandal, Masram Yadav, Ram Bilas Mandal and Indra Jeet Mahara also died in course of treatment.
The deceased had consumed excessive amount of homemade alcohol at a local bar named Ramdaiya Bhawani at Dhanusadham Municipality-5 in Dhanusha district.
According to doctors, the drinkers had consumed methyl alcohol, which is poisonous.
On Saturday, police arrested seven persons for selling homemade liquor. Those arrested have been identified as Jagat Narayan Mandal, Nabin Yadav, Chathiya Devi Mandal, Jaya Kumar Yadav, Sital Devi Yadav, Ghuran Yadav, and Ram Nandan Shah.
In Province 2, illegally-made liquor is sold everywhere including at the district headquarters Janakpur. Almost two years ago, seven persons had died after consuming moonshine at Kamala Municipality-6 in the district.