header banner

Canada ministers say aid will continue for Nepal quake victims

alt=
By No Author
KATHMANDU, May 14: While expressing commitment to continue providing assistance to earthquake victims in Nepal, Canada has said that it will continue to assess the situation and determine what additional assistance might be required in the aftermath of Tuesday's earthquake.

Issuing a press statement after Tuesday's earthquake, Canadian Minister for Foreign Affairs Chritian Paradis, Canada's Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, Canada's Minister of State (Foreign Affairs and Consular) said Canada will continue to provide medical assistance, engineering assistance as well as support to government officials and international humanitarian partners.The statement said Canada's Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART)—already deployed to Nepal in response to the April 25 earthquake—continue to provide medical assistance, engineering assistance as well as support to government officials and international humanitarian partners. "Canada has so far allocated $10 million to respond to the humanitarian needs of the people in Nepal affected by the earthquakes. Canada will continue to assess the situation and determine what additional assistance might be required," said the joint statement.

Canadian people have also shown their solidarity with the Nepalese people through their contributions to the Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund. "For every eligible dollar donated by individual Canadians to registered Canadian charities in response to the Nepal earthquakes between April 25 and May 25, 2015, the government will set aside one dollar for the Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund. Canada will use these funds to support the efforts of experienced Canadian and international humanitarian organizations responding to the crisis in Nepal," added the statement.

The three ministers also offered their sincere condolences to Nepali people who have lost their loved ones in this most recent earthquake on behalf of the Canadian people. "Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this difficult situation, including members of the international community currently providing assistance in the country," the statement said.

According to the statement issued by Embassy of Canada in New Delhi, Canadian officials in the region are working with Nepali officials to ensure that all Canadians affected by this most recent major earthquake are safe and accounted for. So far, we have received no reports of Canadians injured or deceased as a result of Tuesday's earthquake. Additional consular support is available at the Consulate of Canada in Kathmandu. Meanwhile, officials in the Emergency Watch and Response Centre are using available means to reach out to Canadians in the affected region.

The statement has urged all Canadian citizens in the affected region who require emergency consular assistance to contact the Consulate of Canada in Kathmandu at +977 (1) 444 1976, the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi at +91 11 4178 2000 or Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada's (DFATD's) 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre at +1 613 996 8885 (collect calls are accepted). An email can also be sent to sos@international.gc.ca.



Related story

Nepal facing Canada on Saturday under T-20 triangular series

Related Stories
POLITICS

Nepal Embassy in Canada offers seven key tips for...

Canada_20231121150000.jpg
SOCIETY

17 days on Kailali windstorm victims yet to receiv...

Kailali-storm-victims-makeshift-shelters.jpg
SPORTS

Nepal lose to Canada by four wickets in T20 series

1727149979_nepal_c-1200x560_20241002084648.jpg
SPORTS

T20 Triangular Series: Nepal to face Canada today

1727149979_nepal_c-1200x560_20241001105501.jpg
SOCIETY

Conference on role of diaspora on higher education...

Conference on role of diaspora on higher education being held in Canada