Army, Manang fix summit clash in Hetauda

Published On: January 6, 2017 09:40 PM NPT By: Republica  | @RepublicaNepal

KATHMANDU, Jan 6: Tribhuvan Army Club secured a 4-1 win over local Prime Polyclinic Bijay Youth Club of Hetauda in extra time in the semifinal of the Second Tuborg Hetauda International Gold Cup Football Tournament on Friday . With the win, Army fixed Saturday's summit clash against A Division opponent Manang Marsyangdi Club. 

The second semifinal match of the tournament played between Army and local club Bijay Youth at Hetauda's forestry ground was pushed to extra time after both sides scored one goal each in regular time. Bijay Youth went ahead in the game with Martins Ajayi's goal but national team striker Nawayug Shrestha scoring in the stoppage time cancelled the local team's lead. Bharat Khawas, Hiranya Magar and Dip Lama notched one goal each in extra time as Army sealed the 4-1 win to book its place in the final. 

Earlier Martins gave lead to Bijay Youth in the 80th minute scoring a goal utilizing Sujit Budhathoki's cross from the wing. However, Army came back in the game after Nawayug made the scoreline 1-1 in the stoppage time.  

Army went ahead in the match for the first time in the first minute of extra time with Bharat Khawas' goal as the national team forward utilized a cross from Nawayug. Before providing the cross to Bharat, Nawayug had dribbled the ball past three defenders of Bijay Youth. 

The departmental side extended its lead by 3-1 just three minutes later with Hiranya Magar's goal as the defender scored a header utilizing Bharat's cross from the wing. Dip Lama made it 4-1 for Army in the 106th minute as he scored in Nawayug's pass from the edge of the penalty box. 

After the match, Army's head coach Nabin Neupane said that his team utilized opponent's poor fitness to register the semifinal victory. “We didn't lose our nerve despite conceding the goal. Their fitness level was not good which helped us score goals in the extra time,” said head coach Neupane. 

Bijay Youth's head coach Subin Ghimire pointed out to bad luck as the reason behind their defeat. “It was unfortunate to concede the goal in the last moment of regular time. We lost our key player in the extra time due to injury which also affected our performance,” said head coach Ghimire. 

The winner of the tournament that is being organized by Suman Bhomjan Memorial Sports Foundation, will win a purse of Rs 500,000 while the runner-up will bag Rs 300,000. Similarly the best player of the tournament will be given Rs 50,000 while the best coach will be awarded with Rs 15,000.

Leave A Comment