POKHARA, March 26: A total of 145 foreign and Nepali trekkers stranded in Mustang district have been rescued and sent to Kathmandu via land route in the past three days.
The trekkers were stranded in various trekking areas in Mustang after the government announced a week-long nationwide lockdown earlier this week to stem the possible spread of coronavirus.
According to Bed Prasad Aryal, the chief district officer of Mustang, nine trekkers were rescued on Tuesday. Likewise, eight Nepali and 41 foreigners were rescued on Wednesday, and today nine Nepali and 48 foreigners were rescued. "We rescued them in coordination with Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Foreign Affairs," he said.
The rescued trekkers have been sent to Kathmandu via two passenger buses.
COD Aryal said that still many trekkers are on trek to various parts of Mustang including Kagbeni, Lete and Muktinath. "Some of them are willing to continue their trek owing to the suspension of public transportation facilities and air services," he said.
Aryal said that trekkers from more than a dozen countries who are on trek to Mustang have expressed their intention to go back home, asking the Nepali government to facilitate it.
Meanwhile, 58 foreign trekkers including 56 French have been airlifted to Kathmandu from Pokhara who recently accomplished their treks around Annapurna trekking route, one of the popular tourist destinations in Nepal. It is learnt that France is sending an aircraft to Kathmandu to bring back its citizens.