KATHMANDU, Jan 7: Ministry of Labor, Employment and Social Security is planning to provide a 100-day employment opportunity to 60,000 unemployed youths under the Prime Minister Employment Program.
Unveiling its three-month action plan on Tuesday afternoon, the Ministry informed that a total of Rs 5.01 billion has been allocated for the program in the current fiscal year.
Of that, 70% of the amount will be spent on wages to the employees and the rest 30% on construction materials and security appliances, according to the joint secretary at the Ministry Prakash Dahal.
Dahal further added, "If we fail to provide them with a 100-day job opportunity, the remaining amount will be paid as subsistence allowance as per the existing provisions."
"We have prepared to mobilize the laborers in such a way so that there will be no room for any criticism this year," stated Dahal adding that weaknesses were witnessed last year due to lack of time for preparation of the newly introduced program.
The Ministry has directed the local levels to send a list of works to be performed by the employees under the program. "Since the budget will be sent based on demands, we are expecting quality works this year," he added.
Similarly, the Ministry is also preparing to expedite the effective monitoring of the program. Likewise, a study will be conducted in order to explore the areas of employment in all seven provinces.
Conducting a tripartite social dialogue along the industrial corridors, monitoring the implementation of various laws including child labor, occupational security, and health and payment of minimum wages and others related to that of labor sector has also been included in the action plan.
The government had introduced the Prime Minister Employment Program (PMEP), on February 13 last year.
According to the program, a jobless Nepali citizen will get subsistence allowance as well as employment for at least 100 days in a fiscal year. The unemployed person will get vocational and skill-orientated training along with employment-related information.
The government had allocated over Rs 3.10 billion for this program last year.