Iwakhola Hydropower Project ready for generation

Published On: August 7, 2019 03:30 AM NPT By: Giriraj Baskota

The project will add 10 MW to national grid

PANCHTHAR, Aug 7: Construction of Iwakhola Hydropower Project (9.9 MW) has been completed.

According to project developer Rairang Hydropower Company, the project based in Yangbarak Rural Municipality has will begin trial generation within few days. "We have already conducted internal tests. We will begin trial generation once we get permission from the Nepal Electricity Corporation (NEA)," Kuber Mani Nepal, chief of the project, told Republica. "We are confident of starting trial generation within a week."

He also added that the project, albeit of small scale, will make some contribution to the national grid.

Power generated by the project will be linked to a 'pooling house' built near Kabeli B1 Hydropower Project via a 33 kV transmission line.

The 'pooling house' will then connect power generated by Iwakhola and Kabeli B1 hydropower projects to the NEA's substation in Amarpur via a 9.5-kilometer 132 kV transmission line which begins from the confluence of Iwakhola and Kabeli rivers, according to Nepal.

The construction of Kabeli B1 project is on its last leg.

"We aim to start commercial generation after conducting trial generation for twee weeks," added Nepal.

The project cost is around Rs 1.85 million. Nepal said the project cost increased slightly due to delay in construction of Kabeli transmission line. The project was initially estimated to cost Rs 160 million per kilowatt.

Construction work began in December 2016, setting completion target of 2018. The project diverts water of Iwakhola from the confluence of Iwakhola and Shiva rivers to the powerhouse located in Dahal village near the confluence of Kabeli and Shiva rivers through a 3.2-kilometer pipeline.

According to the company, 70 percent of the project cost is financed by a bank, while remaining 30 percent is invested by promoters, locals of affected areas and general public.

"Power generation by the plant will not go down significantly even during dry season as water level in this river in high Himalayan area remains more or less the same throughout the year," added Nepal.

Leave A Comment