KATHMANDU, July 14: Fifteen months after the devastating earthquakes of last year, the government is set to conduct the damage assessment survey in the Kathmandu Valley from Monday to identify earthquake victims whose houses were completely damaged.
The Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS), which has been entrusted to carry out the survey on behalf of the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA), has informed that the survey will be carried out in all the three districts of the Valley--Kathmandu, Lalitpur and Bhaktapur--from Monday.
The CBS has also said that it will take almost two months to complete the survey. The survey is the key basis to identify the victims whose houses were damaged by the last year’s earthquakes and therefore eligible for the grant assistance of Rs 200,000 each being provided by the government for reconstructing their houses.
Deputy Director General of CBS Rudra Suwal said as many as 500 engineers are being mobilized to carry out the survey. “We have already trained engineers for the survey and they will start work from Monday,” he said, adding, the survey will now pave the way for distributing the grant in the Valley soon.
In the three districts of the Valley, 79,846 private houses were fully damaged and 73,142 were partially damaged, according to the figures provided by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
“We have also received complaints from many victims claiming that their houses have also been damaged by the earthquakes but their names were not included in the list of the victims eligible for the relief amount. We shall carry out the survey of those houses as well,” said Suwal.