The team has sealed and handed over the remains of a person and a bullet to the police. [break]
Of 23 trenches dug until Sunday, remains of the second person were found in the 22nd trench. The team will be able to recover it by Monday evening, according to Bed Bhattarai, director of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
Bhattarai confirmed the finding of a third body.
“Until Sunday, we found three bodies,” Bhattarai said, adding that the third body would be taken out in the next two to three days, after which it will be sealed.
The team has been carrying out exhumation work from 8 am to 5 pm since last Monday.
The remains of the first body found here was handed over to the police in the presence of representatives of NHRC, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital, Department of Archaeology, and Forensic Lab, apart from forensic experts from Nepal Police and victims´ families and locals.
A member of the exhumation team said there is a possibility that the bodies recovered so far may not be those of the youths the team is looking for.
“Though the bodies were found around the area pointed out by locals, they were found to have been buried differently from what locals had told us. We see a possibility the bodies may not be of the youths (made to disappear on October 9, 2003),” he said.
According to locals, three of the youths were buried in one grave, and two in another adjoining the first. However, the bodies that the exhumation team found were found in separate graves. The second body was found 15 meters east of the first, and the third 12 meters north of the second.
The team will stop exhumation work after finding five bodies. Thereafter, the remains will be sent to Finland for DNA tests, according to a team member.
Remains of an archeological building found in Bhaktapur