MELAMCHI, July 5: The earthquake survivors of Sindhupalchwok who had left their homeland in search for safe shelter are coming back home in hope of getting house rebuilding grant announced by the government.
They moved to the capital and other nearby districts and villages following a powerful earthquake that struck the country last year. Sindhupalchwok is one of the districts (among 14) worst-hit by the 7.6 magnitude earthquake.
They are seen flocking to the respective ward offices to sign an agreement paper for the grant promised by the government for them to rebuild shelter.
One Gita Dahal of Melamchi Municipality who temporarily shifted to Chabahil, Kathmandu after the quake said she is here for an agreement for the grant promised by the government to the disaster survivors to construct shelter.
Nepali Congress President for Sindhupalchowk Constituency no-3 Aaitaman Tamang said earthquake survivors in the district have started returning homeland to make process for drawing the grant from the government.
Mountainous villages Helambu, Baruwa, Gunsa and Bhotang were the worst affected areas in the district.
Over 3,000 people had died from the earthquake in the district. The Melamchi Municipality has so far signed the house rebuilding grant agreement with 1,716 households of four wards and this number across the district is 34,362.
The government has decided to provide house rebuilding grant (Rs 200,000) to the quake survivors in two installments. RSS