Nepal govt informs UN of pulling out troops from Libya
April 11, 2019 03:20 PM NPT
KATHMANDU, April 11: The Nepal government has already informed the United Nations that it would withdraw its peacekeeping forces from war-torn Libya if conditions continue to worsen. The United States and India have already pulled their security forces amid escalating conflict.
“We have already informed the United Nations through Colonel Padam Bahadur Singh, military adviser to the Permanent Mission of Nepal to the United Nations,” Bigyan Dev Pandey, spokesperson of Nepal Army said. “The Special Representative to the Secretary-General will take necessary steps.”
The decision comes days after the Nepal Army said that its contingent of 231 peacekeepers, one of whom is stationed in Tunisia as an observer, was safe.
With the evacuation of American and Indian troops from Libya last week, Nepali peacekeeping contingent is assigned to safeguard the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Libya’s capital Tripoli.
Pandey said that the Nepal Army was in constant touch with its troops in Tripoli but reaffirmed Nepal’s presence “as long as the United Nations mission stayed in the country.”
According to the United Nations, fighting between eastern Libyan forces and troops loyal to the Tripoli government has killed 56 people and wounded 266in the capital in the past six days.
The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Khalifa Hafter, a military strongman is heading towards the Libyan Capital Tripoli with threats to invade it whereas; the Government of National Accord (GNA) has lined up rebel forces in outskirts of the capital to defend itself.
The oil-rich African nation is now disconnected from air traffic as its only working International Airport was bombarded on April 8, which means only the roadway in and out from the war-ravaged nation is functional.