header banner

Majority combatants opt for integration

alt=
By No Author
KATHMANDU, Nov 20: An initial survey at the seven Maoist cantonments shows that a majority of combatants want integration into the proposed Nepal Army (NA) directorate for industrial security and relief-and-rescue operations -- not rehabilitation or voluntary retirement.



Of the 564 combatants surveyed on the first day of the categorization process at four cantonments - First Division in Ilam, Second Division in Sindhuli, Third Division in Chitwan and Fourth Division in Nawalparasi -- altogether 416 combatants opted for integration, while the rest have shown interest in voluntary retirement. Interestingly, none of the combatants have so far chosen the rehabilitation package.[break]



Altogether 75 combatants in the Fifth Division and 86 in Sixth Division have been surveyed, but data on how many of them chose voluntary retirement, how many chose rehabilitation and how many, integration is yet to be known. Sources say a majority have opted for integration. Survey work could not be carried out at the Seventh Division in Kailali due to disputes.



On the first day, the surveyors recorded the choices of 725 combatants, which is said to be a far lower number than expected. The process was either halted or delayed at some cantonments due to mismatch between UNMIN identity cards and the citizenship cards or educational certificates of the combatants.



“We have just begun the task today. We will speed it up from tomorrow,” said Special Committee Secretariat Member Dipak Prakash Bhatta.







The 210 surveyors led by members of the Special Committee Secretariat have begun the task of surveying and categorizing the combatants from Saturday and they are expected to complete the work in around 10 days.



Our correspondent Chadani Hamal reported that the survey work began in an amicable environment at Shaktikor in Chitwan.





CHITWAN



Coordinator of the Special Committee Secretariat Balananda Sharma, who is leading the surveyors here, welcomed the first group of combatants at 9 a.m.



“The categorization process began in an excited mood except in a few places,” said Sharma.



The commanders stated that the combatants were not comfortable with some provisions in the integration and voluntary retirement packages, but added that their subordinates would fully cooperate with the process. “They will easily go through with this process,” said PLA Commander Dhan Bahadur Maskey at Shakrikhor.



Our correspondent Raju Adhikari reported from Ilam that categorization work at the First Division began quite normally. The combatants are both happy and sad. Happy because their days of hardship at the cantonment have finally come to an end and sad because they are separating from one another, and are not quite sure they have achieved their mission.



“I quit my studies and devoted myself to the war with great expectations. I am returning home in sadness,” said Chhiring Sherpa, 23, who joined the PLA in 2004. He is opting for voluntary retirement.





ILLAM



Meanwhile, our correspondent Mithilesh Yadav reported from Sindhuli that the categorization process has been halted due to disputes over identity cards. Division Commander Suk Bahadur Rokaya Magar said that the process was halted after the ranks of the combatants were not specifed in the identity cards. They have demanded that ranks should be disclosed in the IDs.



According to Secretariat Member Ramnanda Sharma, only 158 combatants could be surveyed. Magar said that only two percent of the combatants would go for voluntary retirement.



According to our reporter Sher Bahadur KC, all 150 combatants surveyed at the Fourth Division in Nawalparasi have opted for integration. Shanti Bhattarai, a combatant, stated that she is now happy as she would get a salary and facilities at par with Nepal Army (NA) soldiers.





ROLPA



Our correspondent Gajendra Bohora reported that the process was disrupted at the Fifth Division in Dahaban after some combatants found that details in the UNMIN identity cards did not match those in their birth and education certificates.



The combatants have demanded that their new identity cards also state the rank and education level of PLA personnel.



Similarly, our correspondent Kalendra Sejuwal also reported that the process was disrupted at the Sixth division in Surkhet due to mismatch between birth dates in the citizenship and education certificates and the identity cards issued by UNMIN. Division Commander Mahendra Sahi stated that the problem arose as many combatants failed to give exact dates during the verification process carried out by UNMIN. “The process has been delayed not because of disputes, but for technical reasons,” said Secertarit Member Dipak Prakash Bhatta.



Our correspondent Dil Bahadur Chhatyal reported that the categorization process could not begin at the Seventh Division in Kailali due to protests from injured combatants.



Deputy Commander Nanda Kishor Pun, Peace and Reconstruction Minister Satya Pahadi, and Maoist leader Janardan Sharma reached the cantonment and held talks with the injured combatants who had put forward a seven-point demand including separate arrangements for themselves.



According to sources, Minister Pahadi assured the injured that their demands would be met. They have threatened not to fill in the forms if their demands are not met within a week.



The combatants at the cantonment have also insisted that they would write their current educational level in the forms and not the level at the time of joining the PLA. Most of the combatants have expressed a wish to join the NA.



Related story

Govt to dole out Rs 800 million to disqualified ex-Maoist comba...

Related Stories
POLITICS

Disqualified ex-child combatants threaten to move...

Disqualified ex-child combatants threaten to move court
ECONOMY

NRB governor urges microfinance institutions to op...

Chiranjivi%20Nepal.jpg
My City

OPTIONAL MATHS

intrahome_aug25.jpg
N/A

Why majority combatants chose integration?

Why majority combatants chose integration?
N/A

Only 3 combatants opt for rehab at 7th Div cantonm...

Only 3 combatants opt for rehab at 7th Div cantonment