Lake city to turn into ‘green city’

Published On: December 6, 2018 09:09 AM NPT By: DHAN BASNET

POKHARA, Dec 6: The Ministry of Population and Environment and Pokhara Metropolitan City have joined hands to establish Pokhara as a ‘Green City’. 

According to an agreement signed on Tuesday, the two bodies will execute a project aiming to curl back environmental degradation and beautify the lake city. 

Director General of the Department of Environment Jhal Nath Adhikari and Executive Officer of Pokhara Metropolitan City Sesh Narayan Poudel signed the agreement. 

As per the agreement, the ministry will bear 60 percent of the total cost, whereas the metropolitan city will cover the remaining 40 percent. 

Poudel said that the city will help to identify potential places and also help to construct parks in different parts of the city. Poudel also directed ward offices to start looking for potential places to develop parks. He further said that the city will mobilize necessary technical manpower to assess the estimated cost and ensure viability of the construction of parks in different locations.

Inaugurating an orientation program in Pokhara, Chief Minister of Gandaki Province Prithvi Subba Gurung said that unplanned and whimsical development works in the past have hurt the city. He said that irresponsible development works have harmed the environment of the entire city.

Emphasizing environment-friendly development works, Gurung said: “Electricity lines and transportation services have to be properly managed, and bus parks should be located at a certain distance from the city.” 

Mayor of Pokhara Metropolitan City Man Bahadur GC also emphasized environment-friendly development.


Leave A Comment