- Jha says he will re-think stance over oath, seeks cabinet´s formal decision
- I will decide instantly once I receive govt letter: Jha
- PM formally writes to Jha to take oath in Nepali
- Sunday´s cabinet meeting likely to ask Jha to take oath
- Jha´s lawyer files review petition at SC
KATHMANDU, Aug 29: Vice President Parmananda Jha has replied to the government that he would be ready to take his oath of office and secrecy as per the verdict of the Supreme Court if the cabinet formally asks him to do so.
Jha replied in writing to the government on Friday in response to a letter from the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers (OPMCM). OPMCM on Thursday had sent a letter to Jha asking him to fix a date of his convenience to take his oath in Nepali as ordered by the apex court. [break]
“I will re-think my stance over the oath row and will be able to attend the oath-taking ceremony only if the cabinet decides on the matter in accordance with the court´s verdict,” an OPMCM source quoted Jha´s letter as stating.
He, however, set the pre-condition that he would need an official decision of the cabinet that he should take a fresh oath in Nepali.
When asked about his softened stance regarding the oath-taking, Jha said, “Please see the letter and find the reply I have submitted to the prime minister´s office. Just go through the letter I sent to the government on Friday.”
Jha told myrepublica.com that he is currently taking stock of the situation as a whole.
“I will instantly decide to take necessary steps once I receive the government´s reply on Sunday,” said Jha, adding: “Such a decision can be taken within a minute.”
The source said that officials at OPMCM briefed Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal about Jha´s reply on Friday evening. Shortly after the briefing, the prime minister sent a letter to Vice President Jha asking him to take a fresh oath in Nepali to respect the court´s order.
“The vice presidency is a respected post. I expect that a person holding such a lofty post would respect the verdict of the court,” states a letter sent by the PM to Jha. The PM has also reminded Jha that the issue of linguistic rights raised by him has already been addressed by registering a bill at parliament to amend the interim constitution.
Sources at OPMCM said that a cabinet meeting has been scheduled for Sunday morning.
“Sunday´s cabinet meeting is expected to approve the letter the PM sent to Jha Thursday evening. The meeting will also formally request Jha to take his oath in Nepali as per the verdict of court and the provision of the interim constitution,” a source told myrepublica.com.
However, some sources hinted that there is a possibility of convening an oath-taking ceremony on Saturday itself if the government is so inclined.
Jha´s response to the government on Friday comes at a time when his oath-taking in Hindi has dragged him into huge controversy, prompting the Madhesi parties to launch street protests against the court´s verdict.
Last Sunday, the SC had asked Jha to take his oath in Nepali within seven days to retain his position as vice president.
Earlier on Thursday, OPMCM had sent a letter to Jha as the deadline of the court order expires Sunday.
The SC had asked the government to make necessary preparations for an oath-taking in Nepali.
Meanwhile, Jha´s lawyer Mithilesh Kumar Singh on Friday filed a review petition at the Supreme Court on behalf of Jha, seeking a review of the verdict the apex court issued a month ago. The SC, however, refused to register a review petition on its order issued last Sunday.