Visiting the Nepal Republic Media office in Sundhara, Sunday afternoon, DPM Shrestha enquired about the incident with editor-in-chief of Nagarik daily and Shukrabar weekly Kishore Nepal, editor-in-chief of Republica Kosmos Bishwokarma, Managing Director Binod Raj Gyawali and Director of the publications Shova Gyawali. “This is regrettable incident. There are other ways to address grievance, if any, with the news items published,” he said after learning details of the incident.[break]
DPM Shrestha assured that he will leave no stone unturned to ensure press freedom. “These types of incidents deserve to be discouraged by all sides,” he said. On the occasion, he also directed over telehhone to Minister for Information and Communication Raj Kishor Yadav and Chief District Officer of Kathmandu to take action against the attackers to discourage such incidents in the future.
Earlier in the day, UCPN (Maoist) spokesperson Agni Sapkota had also visited Nepal Republic Media office. He said that it is unfortunate that the government has remained silent over the recent attack on the Nepal Republic Media office.
“After this incident happened, not only the communications minister but also the prime minster had to show concerns. I am surprised to see this is not happening,” he said.
Sapkota also pledged that his party would voice for a prompt government probe into the incident. A group of hooligans identifying themselves cadres of Shiva Sena Nepal, Thursday had stormed the NRM office and manhandled Nagarik daily chief editor Kishor Nepal and other journalists.
‘Media is not just a business, but also a public service’