KATHMANDU, April 3: Laborers have started returning to work at the Melamchi water project following the government allows operation of big projects by meeting the stipulated health standards.
Construction of the project however continued in the first week following the first phase of lockdown as most of the workers from outside Sindhuplachok district where the project is located remained at work, the senior divisional engineer for the project, Kamal Raj Shrestha.
But they went home after lockdown extended, he added. The project also coordinated their leave, said he said. "They were at work in the first week following the first phase of lockdown. However, they went home after lockdown extended," he said.
Approximately 50 Chinese people are at work, he said. Local people protested continuation of the project fearing the infection, he said. "The local level asked the project to quarantine workers at the earliest." Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation Bina Magar on an occasion pledged to complete the project and supply water to the Kathmandu Valley in the next three months.
Chinese company Sinohydro has been awarded the contract to construct the headwork of the project after the Italian Company CMC last year fled leaving the project halfway.