header banner

Congo: 151 rebels killed in clash with army

alt=
By No Author
KINSHASA, Congo, Nov 17: Two army officers and 151 rebels were killed in a battle in eastern Congo, officials said Friday, in what the U.N. called the worst clash between the M23 group and the military since July.



Rebels attacked army positions Thursday and suffered heavy losses in the fighting that ensued, the governor of North Kivu province, Julien Paluku told The Associated Press by phone. Paluku said the Red Cross had been sent into villages to take out bodies to prevent the spread of disease.[break]



The M23 was created after officers from the Congolese army defected in April and May and launched a rebellion to demand better pay, armaments and amnesty from war crimes.



The army spokesman in northern Kivu, Col. Olivier Hamuli, said that two army officers were killed and seven were wounded in the fighting in the Kibumba area, 30 kilometers (18 miles) from Goma, the capital.



The spokesman of the M23, Col. Vianney Kazarama, denied the heavy casualties, saying that only two rebels were wounded.



The U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo said it was the worst battle since July. At U.N. headquarters in New York, U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky said there are indications that between 1,500 to 2,500 people may have fled the area as a result of the fighting.



The U.N. Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is on high alert and has deployed quick reaction teams. The Mission´s attack helicopters are also on standby.



Related story

Ten militants and five civilians killed in east Congo violence:...

Related Stories
WORLD

Suspected Islamist militants kill 13 in eastern Co...

Suspected Islamist militants kill 13 in eastern Congo villages
WORLD

At least 55 killed in eastern Congo massacres, U.N...

At least 55 killed in eastern Congo massacres, U.N. says
WORLD

At least 18 people killed in eastern DR Congo plan...

At least 18 people killed in eastern DR Congo plane crash
WORLD

At least 26 killed in Congo protests, rights group...

Congo.jpg
SOCIETY

NA peacekeepers leave for MONUSCO, CONGO

2_20211223175033.JPG