header banner

Syria news agency: 2 explosions kill 16 people in north

alt=
By No Author
DAMASCUS, Syria, Dec 31:  Syria's state news agency says that two "terrorist explosions" have gone off in the predominantly Kurdish northeastern city of Qamishli, killing 16 people and wounding 35.

The SANA news agency says the explosions happened late Wednesday in the Shiyahi area of the city, a Christian neighborhood in the predominantly Kurdish city.


The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says the bombs went off in two restaurants in the city center, near a security point run by government troops. The Islamic State group has been fighting Kurdish fighters in Syria since last year and the extremists have carried out dozens of suicide attacks against the Kurds, with several in Qamishli itself. The Kurdish fighters, aided by U.S.-led airstrikes, have also captured significant territory from IS in northern Syria.



Related story

6 killed, over 20 injured in Syria explosion

Related Stories
WORLD

Militants set off car bombs, storm army positions...

Militants set off car bombs, storm army positions in Syria's Idlib: state news agency
WORLD

North Korea demolishes nuke test site with series...

North-Korea.jpg
WORLD

North Korea suspends military action plans against...

11_20200624134053.jpg
WORLD

North Korea's Kim offers condolences to China's Xi...

kim1_20200201180309.jpg
WORLD

North Korea's Kim says will consider letter receiv...

kim-letter.jpg