RAUTAHAT/SARLAHI, Aug 24: Demanding cancellation of the proposed provincial boundaries under the new constitution, an alliance of Madhesi parties has continued their protests across the Terai from Jhapa to Parsa since the last nine days, throwing daily life out of gear.
Although the agitating alliance claims to be staging peaceful protests, the agitations in various districts are gradually taking an ugly turn. Among these districts, protests in Rautahat turned violent on the ninth consecutive day, Monday.Two dozen local agitators and a dozen policemen sustained injuries in a clash that erupted during protests at district headquarters, Gaur.
Altogether 28 agitators and nine security personnel were injured after a clash ensued between police and demonstrators. One of the injured, Sahindar Mahato of Gaur municipality-2, sustained critical injuries. Gaur Hospital has referred him to Birgunj for further treatment.
Police had to fire several teargas shells as well as rubber bullets at the agitators after hundreds of them from different villages started to vandalize government offices. The office premises turned into a battlefield during the clash.
Agitating locals also pelted stones at the house of former prime minister Madhav Kumar Nepal in Gaur. However, no damage occured as security personnel were deployed.
After the situation turned tense, District Administration Office (DAO) Rautahat clamped a curfew in the Gaur Municipality area from 4.30 p.m on Monday till 5 a.m.Tuesday, informed Chief District Officer (CDO) Madan Bhujel.
Following the curfew order, irate agitators continued their protests in different parts of the district. The agitators set ablaze an ambulance (Ba 3 Cha 863) near BP Chowk at around 7:30 p.m.
In Sarlahi, local protesters staged rallies brandishing household weapons such as knives, spears, swords and sticks, at district headquarters, Malangwa.
The local administration has, meanwhile, expressed surprise over the Home Ministry's decision to deploy the army in the district.
"As the ongoing protest in Sarlahi is peaceful so far, I am surprised over the decision to deploy the army," said CDO Meghnath Kafle.
According to SP Kedar Dhakal, the Nepal Police is on stand-by. If required, the army can be deployed in the district. "However, the situation here has been normal till today," he said.
In Nawalparasi, the DAO has declared a restricted zone at Ramgram Municipality and on the Panchnagar-Ramnagar section of the East-West Highway, according to Chitwan-based Republica correspondent Ramesh Kumar Poudel.
According to Chief District Officer (CDO) Hari Prasad Mainali, no one will be allowed to organize gatherings or any other program in the restricted areas from Monday evening.
Dang declared a 'riot zone'
District Security Committee, Dang has declared the district a 'riot zone' from Monday till September 8. Following declaration of the riot zone, the army has been deployed in the district, according to CDO Loknath Paudyal.
"The army has been deployed in the district so that no untoward incident takes place. The situation in the district with a majority Tharu population is very sensitive following the Kailali incident," said CDO Poudel.
Protests over municipal center relocation turn violent, journal...