header banner

Mass entry weakens army: Leaders

alt=
By No Author
KATHMANDU, Dec 22: Leaders of opposition parties have alleged that conspiracy is being hatched to undermine the sensitive State organs with the policy of allowing bulk entry in the Nepal Army.



Speaking at a face to face programme organized by the Reporters´ Club Thursday, the leaders of the opposition parties said the planned bulk entry of the Madhesis in the Nepal Army was not going to make the army organization any stronger.[break]



They said that none of the battalions of the Nepal Army has been named after the ethnic community of the country and decried the government´s decision to take in 3,000 youths of the Madhesi community in the Nepal Army in bulk as being indicative of authoritarianism.



The speakers alleged that the Madhesi parties that talked tall on the rights of the Madhesis have neglected the cause of the dalits and the indigenous nationalities living in the Madhes, the southern plains region of the country.



The leaders of different parties speaking at the face to face commented that decisions as bulk entry in the army would not contribute to the democracy and boost the policy of inclusion in any way, rather such rash decisions would put the country into a quandary.



Nepali Congress leader Dr. Ram Sharan Mahat accused the Unified CPN (Maoist) of taking irresponsible decisions as allowing bulk entry into the Nepal Army. He said the Maoist party was putting the country into difficulty.



He said the latest activities of the UCPN (Maoist) gave support to the suspicions that the peace process itself would be jeopardized.



CPN (UML) leader Bhim Rawal alleged that the peace and constitution itself has been hampered by the latest activities of the UCPN (Maoist). He suggested the government to take back its decision of allowing bulk entry of Madhesis in the national army, saying that it would threaten the national sovereignty and integrity.



UCPN (Maoist) leader Haribol Gajurel said the party is taking a decisive initiatives for concluding the peace process and that the people were evaluating the works of the party. He said there is no need for a change of government at this juncture as the government is pushing ahead the peace and constitution writing.



Chairman of the Tarai Madhes Loktantrik Party and Irrigation Minister Mahendra Yadav urged the opposition parties not to make an issue out of the government´s decision for bulk entry of Madhesis in the Nepal Army as this had already been agreed upon by the parties when the late Girija Prasad Koirala was the prime minister.



He argued that the bulk entry of the Madhesis in the Nepal Army would rather make the Nepal Army more inclusive and strengthen the nationality.



Related story

In Pictures: Families of Nepalis in Russian Army begin hunger s...

Related Stories
ECONOMY

Malaysian govt decides to impose ban on migrant wo...

malaysia-nepali-migrant-workers_20230204104309.jpg
ECONOMY

Rs 1.2 million entry fee collected from Mardi trek...

marditrek_20210929181846.jpg
POLITICS

Govt to issue entry pass for entering into Singhad...

Singha-Durbar_20200727162109.jpg
Editorial

New air-entry routes: India’s harmful dilly-dallyi...

airplanejune12.jpg
SOCIETY

Raxaul locals obstruct entry of raw materials-lade...

Raxaul  dec 1.jpg