ITAHARI, July 27: Samir Rishidev, a local of Itahari Municipality-11 in Sunsari district, died on his way to health center after he was bit by a venomous snake. The snake bit the 11-year-old Rishidev while he was sleeping in his bed.
Snakebite is a serious cause of disability and death in mostly poor, rural and hard-to-reach communities worldwide. Though just 250 of 3000-odd species of snakes are medically important, their impact can be devastating: Across the globe, snakebite envenoming is reported to cause the death of up to 138 000 people annually, while up to three times that number are estimated to suffer amputation, physical or psychological disability. The need to take action is clear, and core to the principle of leaving no one behind.
BARDIBAS, June 17: Cases of snakebites have significantly increased in Mahottari district with the start of rainfall amidst scorching heat. The Gauridanda-based Snakebite Treatment Center in Bardibas-3 said that the snakebite cases have suddenly increased in this district.