One year after the start of a deadly Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo, health officials have confirmed the first direct transmission of the virus in Goma, a city of two million people and a major transit hub.

KINSHASA, August 1: A second person died Wednesday of Ebola in Congo’s major crossroads city of Goma, again raising fears the virus could spread beyond the country’s borders as the outbreak enters a second year.

KINSHASA, July 26: Saudi Arabia has stopped issuing visas to people from Congo while citing the Ebola outbreak there, even as the World Health Organization recommends against travel restrictions.

JUBA, July 20: With the deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo now an international emergency , neighboring South Sudan and its war-weakened health system is a major concern, especially after one case was confirmed near its border. Health experts say there is an urgent need to increase prevention efforts.

GENEVA, July 18: The World Health Organization on Wednesday declared Congo’s Ebola outbreak an international health emergency, sounding a rarely used global alarm after the virus threatened to spread to a major city and into neighbouring countries.

GENEVA, July 18: The deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo is now an international health emergency, the World Health Organization announced Wednesday after a case was confirmed in a city of 2 million people.

GENEVA, July 17: A fishmonger vomited at Mpondwe market in Uganda on July 11 before dying of Ebola in Democratic Republic of Congo, an incident that could spread the disease in Uganda, the World Health Organization reported on Wednesday.

NAIROBI, June 17:  Kenyan doctors are testing a hospital patient in western Kenya who has Ebola-like symptoms, as eastern Congo is struggling to control the outbreak and Uganda has reported two deaths from the deadly hemorrhagic fever.

KAMPALA, June 13: A second person infected with the Ebola virus has died in Uganda, the health ministry said Thursday, after a family exposed to the disease quietly crossed the border from Congo.

CONGO, May 4: More than 1,000 people have died from Ebola in eastern Congo since August, the country’s health minister said Friday as hostility toward health workers continues to hamper efforts to contain the second-deadliest outbreak of the virus.

CONGO, March 10: Heavily armed assailants again attacked an Ebola treatment center in the heart of eastern Congo’s deadly outbreak on Saturday, with one police officer killed and health workers injured, authorities said, while frightened patients waited in isolation rooms for the gunfire to end.

CONGO, Nov 30: Democratic Republic of Congo's deadly Ebola outbreak is now the second largest in history, behind the devastating West Africa outbreak that killed thousands a few years ago, the World Health Organisation said on Thursday.

ITURI, Aug 5: An Ebola outbreak in the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo has claimed the lives of 33 people, the ministry of health said Saturday.

DAKAR, Senegal, Jun 1: More than 680 people have received Ebola vaccinations in the three health zones where dozens of cases of the deadly virus have been confirmed, Congo’s health ministry said.

The Democratic Republic of Congo faces a “very high” public health risk from Ebola, the World Health Organization warns, after the disease spreads to a major city.

GENEVA, May 18: Democratic Republic of Congo faces a "very high" public health risk from Ebola after the disease was confirmed in one patient in a major city, the World Health Organization said on Friday, raising its assessment from "high" previously.