RASUWA, Nov 24: Even after more than four years since the massive earthquake of 2015, a total of 1,095 households of Rasuwa are living in risky settlements.
According to the data prepared by the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA), a total of 1,095 households in five rural municipalities of the district are living in risky settlements.
According to NRA District Project Implementation Unit (Building) Rasuwa, it is preparing to settle the 250 displaced families at an integrated settlement. Of the displaced families, 21 are from Langbu, 53 from Bogatitar, 125 from Tiruma, and 51 from Pangling. The detailed project report (DPR) of the integrated settlements to be constructed at Langbu, Bogatitar, and Tiruma is in the final stage, while the DPR for the settlement in Pangling is yet to be prepared.
According to Saroj Kumar Yadav, an engineer at the project implementation unit, the construction of residential building – destroyed by the earthquake – is in the final stage, but the relocation of the households is a difficult task.
“The construction of the integrated settlements has just started,” Yadav said. Even four years after the earthquake, the construction of the integrated settlements is yet to start.
Of the total 1,095 households, 619 have relocated to various places due to the risk of landslide in their original places. This means only 56.52 percent households have relocated to safe places.
A total of 63 houses of the 81 settlements in the district at risk due to its geographical structure have been relocated so far.
The delay is said to be due to bureaucratic hurdles, lack of available land, and poor coordination among various agencies of the government.