Published On: October 20, 2019 05:01 PM NPT By: Madan Thakur
RAUTAHAT, Oct 20: Rautahat District Court has remanded Nepali Congress leader Mohammad Aftab Alam in custody for more five days for investigations into a blast and subsequent murder of at least 22 of those injured in the bomb blast that took place in 2008.
This is the second time the district court remanded him in custody for five days for investigation. Alam, who is said to be the main mastermind of the brutal killing, has not said anything during the police interrogation citing health issues.
Alam, a suspended Nepali Congress lawmaker, had denied recording the statement citing health issues when the police produced him before the District Attorney Office earlier on Friday.
However, the district police have been collecting information from those injured in the blast. Police have already recorded the statements of two injured persons.
Emerging from the court on Sunday afternoon, Alam claimed that no such incident had taken place as reported in media. "The Office of the Attorney General already invalidated the case since no such incident had taken place as reported. This is the truth," he told reporters briefly.
Last Sunday, the district court remanded Alam for seven days in custody for further investigation into the case.
Alam was arrested last week on Sunday following an order from the Supreme Court. On May 29, 2012, the Supreme Court, revoking the decision of the Office of Attorney General and District Attorney Office, had ordered to properly investigate the case.
District Attorney Office (DAO), Rautahat, back in 2008 had closed the case citing lack of evidence of the blast. Likewise, the Office of Attorney General had also upheld the decision of the DAO.
The investigation gained pace only after the Supreme Court, on June 27, asked for detailed information of the investigation from the DAO and DPO.
Leave A Comment