Woman inmate injured by stove

Published On: February 2, 2019 08:25 AM NPT By: Republica  | @RepublicaNepal

RAUTAHAT (REPUBLICA): A female inmate at the district prison in Rautahat sustained critical injuries apparently after being burned by stove in the kitchen.

On Thursday, Kalpana Gurung Rai, 26, of Dharan Municipality-13 of Sunsari was lighting stove in the female ward of the Gaur-based prison to prepare meal when her hair apparently caught fire leaving her injured. 
According to the prison administration, security personnel entered the women’s ward immediately after the accident and rushed her to the District Hospital, Gaur.

As informed by senior superintendent (SP) Kedar Dhakal of the District Police Office, Rautahat, Rai was later taken to Birgunj based Narayani Sub-regional Hospital for further treatment. SP Dhakal claimed that the victim herself has said that she caught fire while lighting the stove.

It has been learnt that the victim was engaged in a brawl with another inmate Pinky Mukhia, 22, of Dhanusha over a music player just before the incident. 

Rai was serving her term after being convicted in a drugs-related case by the Morang District Court. She had also been fined Rs 100,000. SP Dhakal stated police are investigating into the fire incident.  


Leave A Comment