Tikapur massacre main accused is now a lawmaker

Published On: December 13, 2017 07:52 AM NPT By: DIL BAHADUR CHHATYAL

DHANGADHI, Dec 13: Resham Chaudhari, the main accused in the infamous Tikapur massacre which took place in August 2015, has registered a landslide victory in the parliamentary elections from Constituency 1 of Kailali district. Chaudhari who contested the polls from the Rastriya Janata Parry Nepal (RJPN) won with 34,341 votes. 

When he filed his candidacy for the election through a representative, it was not debated seriously whether it was a legal act. Neither did anyone file any case against his nomination. He not only stood in the polls as a candidate, but also emerged victorious. He defeated his closest rival Madan Kumari Sah of the left alliance. Sah received only 20,935 votes. 

Chaudhari did not appear in person at the Election Commission to register his candidacy. His representative had registered his candidacy. However, his family members were vocal about him in the media. Chaudhari, who is said to be hiding in India, used the social media to campaign for the election. 

According to election officer Khimananda Bhusal, the certificate of election victory will be handed over to him and he will be administered the oath of secrecy as per the decision of the Election Commission. “We have sought direction from the commission in this regard,” he said. 

Chaudhari has nominated his wife to receive the certificate. However, Bhusal said that Chaudhari’s wife or anyone else will not get the certificate unless the EC okays that. 

His status has made everyone curious. AIG Madhav Nepal, police chief of Province 7, said Chaudhari will be arrested whenever he appears. “We have the warrant against him ready. We are going to arrest him the moment we find him,” he said, adding that Chaudhari can be arrested even after he takes the oath. “For this, the Speaker needs to be informed,” he said. 

SP Binod Ghimire of Kailali District Police Office stated that Chaudhari will be presented before the court after being arrested whenever and wherever he is found.   

Eight police personnel and a toddler were mercilessly killed in the Tikapur massacre in August 2015. The court is yet to give its final verdict on the case.


Leave A Comment