Published On: March 2, 2017 12:50 AM NPT By: Republica | @RepublicaNepal
BANEPA, March 2: Dhulikhel Hospital has courted controversy after the death of a patient who was admitted there for the treatment of aliments related to uterus and gall bladder.
Subhadra Mahat, 42, of Panauti died just after two days of her surgery on Tuesday. Family members of the deceased have blamed the hospital administration for its negligence for the death.
According to the family members of Mahat, she was fine till Monday. Doctors had conducted a laparoscopic surgery of her uterus and gall bladder. She was admitted to the hospital due to heavy bleeding during menstruation, because of which she lacked enough blood in her body. Doctors involved in the treatment claimed that lack of hemoglobin was the actual problem and not the surgery.
“The problem came up due to anaphylactic reaction during blood transfusion process,” said Dr Abha Shrestha, senior gynecologist who was involved in the surgery. “This problem is seen in one out of thousands of patients and she was one of them,” Shrestha said.
The hospital authorities have started investigation doubting if there was something wrong with the blood that was given to the patient.
Family members have accused that the nurse who gave blood to the deceased is not a proper nurse but an intern. They suspect that novice nurse gave the wrong blood due to lack of knowledge which ultimately led to the death.
“The problem was seen immediately after she was given the blood. How can the hospital authorities allow beginners to practice nursing, risking the lives of patients?” questioned the sister-in-law of the deceased.
Hospital authorities have assured that this kind of incident won't be repeated in the future.
Leave A Comment