ITAHARI, Jan 9: Two girls of the same family in Itahari have died due to suffocation caused by smoke on Sunday.
Seven-year-old Aliya Khatun and two-year-old Aayat Khatun were sleeping with their parents in their rented room as the fire was lit to keep the room warm. In the morning, all of the family members had health complications and were taken to Birat Teaching Hospital.
The daughters of Alam Miyan died while undergoing treatment at a local hospital as they could not cope with the overnight ordeal, according to the police. Miyan and his wife are undergoing treatment.
“Sawdust was used for the fire and the room was all smoky in the morning,” said Police Inspector Chiranjivi Dahal. “They died while undergoing treatment at the hospital,” he added.
The family was living in a rented room of Bishnu Kumar Limbu at Itahari-6.