Pemba Tamang of Goljung village of Amachhodingmo Rural Municipality – 4 in his earthquake-hit house. Photo: Republica
RASUWA, Feb 19: Pemba Tamang's house was badly hit by the devastating earthquake of 2015 and the powerful aftershocks. Just like any other quake victim, he was sure that he would get government support to rebuild his house. However, his dream to shift to a safe house has not been fulfilled yet. With his family, he is living in the same quake-damaged house that can collapse anytime.
"I applied for my inclusion in the list of the quake-hit families, but to no avail. I tried twice," said Tamang of Goljung village of Amachhodingmo Rural Municipality – 4.
According to Tamang, many engineers came to the village and collected the details of quake-hit houses. He also showed his house to some engineers. "Everyone said that my house has enough cracks and even the base is too fragile. And yet, they missed out my name in the list," he laments.
Even though the government stated that it was serious about reconstruction, appointment of the CEO of the reconstruction authority was quite delayed. This prolonged the sufferings of the quake victims. Even later, the works were not smooth. The lack of human and other resources were blamed for the sluggish reconstruction. As per the latest update of the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA), some 86 percent of reconstruction works have been completed so far. Private houses were in the first priority of the government. However, there are people like Tamang who are still waiting to be counted as a victim.
"Years have passed. Everyone got the housing grants. They built their and shifted to new house, but we have not been noticed yet," he said.
Another quake victim Chhoji Tamang of Galtang village is also yet to get the relief. Even though her house was totally damaged, she could not make it to the list, she said. "I repaired my house on my own, but when everyone else has a quake-resistant house, I have the same old one," she said. "My house is not fit for living in, but I have no choice," she added.
She applied for the housing grant once. After that she did not try.
A total of 12,793 people have been included in the list of beneficiaries from Rasuwa district. There are still many who lament that their names were not included in the list. Among the 12,793, some 11,960 beneficiaries have received the first installment of the housing grant. Similarly, 11,422 people have received the second installment as well while 10,820 have received all the three installments.