A-Division League

Problem beckons as APF, Himalayan winless

Published On: December 23, 2019 09:48 AM NPT By: Republica  | @RepublicaNepal

KATHMANDU, Dec 23: A second-half goal from Prabin Kumar Syangtan sealed an equalizer for Armed Police Force (APF) Club as the departmental team settled for a 1-1 draw against Himalayan Sherpa Club, failing to overcome its first game defeat in the ongoing Qatar Airways Martyr’s Memorial A-Division League in Kathmandu on Sunday. 

Both the teams now have failed to register a win in two straight matches as APF failed to comeback from its 2-0 loss against the defending champions Manang Marshyangdi Club (MMC) in the opener.

Meanwhile, despite holding the other departmental team Nepal Police Club (NPC) to a first goalless draw of the season, Himalayan Sherpa could not add on to its first-half lead and settled for a second straight point. 

The first-half was stale with both the sides struggling to create chances, and they had made few, which they missed. 

Himalayan Sherpa enjoyed the possession at one point, but missed clear cut chances as it failed to score a goal in the first-half in two consecutive matches. 

Himalayan Sherpa finally took the lead in the 47th minute as Tridev Gurung headed the ball into the net after getting a cross from Bishwash Shrestha for its first league goal this season. 

Himalayan Sherpa showed glimpses of improvement in the second-half, but could not hold on to its lead as it saw its lead equalized 11 minutes after scoring a goal. 

Syangtan converted a good cross from Aashish Lama in the 58th minute to pull the game back in track. 

Earlier, in the first-half, the poor finishing let both the teams down despite creating a lot of chances. 

APF’s Ram Kumar Kumal hit a powerful shot in the eighth minute of the match, and the ball was saved by keeper Kishor Giri. Himalayan Sherpa continued surging in for the goal in the first-half, but also kept throwing chances away. 

Goal scorer Tridev gave a good cross for an unmarked Bhison Gurung, but his header went wide in the 37th minute. 

After going behind in just the second minute of the second-half, APF started creating a lot of chances utilizing its pacy wingers down the flanks. 

Three minutes before scoring an equalizer, APF’s Aashish Lama got a good chance as his header from inside the penalty box went over the bar in the 55th minute. 

Himalayan Sherpa then switched its tactics to quick counter attack as it got a chance through Bishwash Shrestha, but his shot from 20 yards out was punched away by APF keeper Amrit Kumar Chaudhary, and the rebound was cleared to safety by the defenders. 

With the result, both the teams are struggling. Himalayan Sherpa has two points after two straight draws, while APF has one point from two games. 

The last day of the second round sees Manang Marshyangdi Club take on the other departmental team Tribhuvan Army Club in the early kick-off, while the second match will be between Three Star Club and Nepal Police. 

Both the matches are scheduled to be held at the Dasharath Stadium as Nepal U-15 girls’ team will play Bhutan in a friendly match at the All Nepal Football Association (ANFA) Complex on the same day. 

Leave A Comment