Police faces shock defeat, NRT into quarterfinals

Published On: January 30, 2017 08:11 AM NPT By: Republica  | @RepublicaNepal

JHAPA, Jan 30: Nepal Police Club has faced shock 2-1 defeat to the newly-promoted A Division side NRT in the ongoing Jhapa Gold Cup on Sunday. After failing to preserve the lead in the match, Police crashed out from the early stage of the tournament being held at the Domalal Stadium, Birtamode. 

Police went ahead in the game with Bikram Dhimal’s goal but Ashok Thapa Magar scoring the goal in the stoppage time of the second half saw the match end 1-1 in the normal time. But NRT, which was down to 10 men in the 82nd minute, sealed the win with Raj Poudel’s goal in extra time.  

After registering the victory over the former league champion Police, NRT booked its place in the quarterfinal of the competition. 

The match between two A Division sides was competitive but the departmental side took lead in the match as Bikram Dhimal scored a header in the 27th minute utilizing a corner from Sudip Rai.  NRT faced another setback in the 82nd minute of the second half as its goalkeeper Ashok Baral was shown red card. Referee Prakash Nath Shrestha ordered Ashok to march out from the pitch after he caught the ball out of the box. 

However, NRT came back in the game after Ashok Thapa Magar scored a beautiful goal from long range in the stoppage time of the second half. After the match ended 1-1 in the regular time, man-of-the-match Ashok made the difference again, as he created opportunity to score for Raj Poudel in the 13th minute of added time. Raj scored a wonderful header utilizing the pass from Ashok.   

Earlier in the match, Police missed golden opportunity to produce goal in the 12th minute after Tirtha Rana failed to score from close range. Three minutes later, Police was denied to take lead when Anjan Rai’s shot was cleared from the goal line by NRT’s Niraj Basnet. 
On Monday, Armed Police Force (APF) will take on Himalayan Sherpa Club.

Leave A Comment