Parties agree to release quake grant in two installments
June 29, 2016 01:18 PM NPT
By: Durga Dulal
Republica file photo
KATHMANDU, June 29: The disrupted Legislature-Parliament meeting is all set to resume from Wednesday itself after the main opposition Nepali Congress (NC) backtracked from its stance that the quake victims should be provided Rs 200,000 in a sump sum.
The NC has given up its stance following an agreement among the top-notch leaders to release quake grant in two installments in a meeting called by the task-force today.
Following the deal, the quake victims will get the quake grant in two installments. The government will release Rs 150,000 in the first installment and Rs 50,000 in the second installment to the quake victims.
Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli giving information about the deal among the parties to release quake grant in two installments on Wednesday. (Dipesh Shrestha/Republica)
The parties have agreed to amend work plan with the consent of the World Bank, said Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli. “The major parties have struck a deal to provide quake grant in two installments," PM Oli told journalists after the meeting.
The work plan will be amended with the consent of the World Bank and the quake grant will soon be released, task-force member Dilanath Giri told Republica Online.
PM Oli is addressing the House meeting following the deal among the parties at 2 pm today.
The NC had been obstructing the Legislature-Parliament meetings since last Friday demanding that the government release quake grant to the vicitms at one go.