Aaha Rara Gold Cup

Himalayan Sherpa beats Dharan to reach quarters

Published On: February 23, 2019 11:48 AM NPT By: DHAN BASNET

POKHARA, Feb 23: A-Division League outfit Himalayan Sherpa Club has advanced into the quarterfinals of the ongoing 17th Aaha Rara Gold Cup football tournament with a 1-0 win over Dharan Football Club in Pokhara on Friday. 

Tridev Gurung scored the winning goal for the team in the 78th minute as Patrick Privat Goha crossed the ball which was far off the defense line and dropped inside the far post. Gurung hit a diving header from the angle and scored for Himalayan which was all but enough to get a victory. 

Himalayan Sherpa got other chances to add on to its tally, but could not convert them. It got a free-kick in the first half taken by Goha which was cleared by the Dharan defense. 

There were no special attacking moves in the first half from either side and ended the first half of the match in a goalless draw. 

But, Himalayan got some chances as Kamal Thapa took the corner, but the ball was punched away to safety by Dharan keeper Binay Shrestha in the 10th minute. 

Despite attacking football from both the sides, no goal was scored. 

Enough chances were created with attacking intent in the second half with both the teams making good moves to score, but could not convert them. 

Dharan got a corner in the 58th minute, but of no use. One minute after that, Dharan’s Fofana Drahima hit a free-kick, but it went straight into the hands of Himalayan Sherpa keeper Kishor Giri. 

Gilson Limbu gave a shot cross ball to Drahima in the 66th minute, but the Sherpa defense defended well to deny Dharan from scoring. 

Dharan kept on playing attacking football creating some good chances, but the finishing was poor. Dharan’s veteran player Yogesh Rai hit a free-kick in the 68th minute, but the ball was punched away to safety by Himalayan Sherpa keeper Giri. 

Himalayan Sherpa also got some chances to score more, but could not add to its tally. Bishwash Shrestha passed the ball to Purna Gurung, but his flick shot was punched away. The ball was not properly dealt with, but the defense line cleared the ball. 

Tridev was named the man of the match for his winning goal and was rewarded with Rs 5,000.  

“The first half was not effective from our side, but we presented a much improved performance in the second half. We could not score despite creating chances and that was the reason behind the loss,’’ said Dharan head coach Sagar Ghimire. 

“The players could not play as expected and the performance from some players was very poor. The game was not satisfying, but we won,’’ Himalayan Sherpa head coach Subash Limbu said, “That is an achievement though. We are confident in presenting a more effective football in the next game.’’ 

A-Division League champion Manang Marshyangdi Club will take on the departmental team Armed Police Force (APF) Club in the other match on Saturday.  


Leave A Comment